We issue only biometric passports that contain your digital fingerprints (from 12 years onwards), your photo (from 6 years onwards) and your digital signature (from 6 years onwards).
For the registration of the above-mentioned data, each Belgian older than 6 years is expected to present themselves at the embassy upon submitting their passport application. Given that children younger than 6 years are not required to give biometric data, their passport applications can be sent by post (more information further down the page).
Our honorary consulates in Estonia and Finland are not equipped to register biometric data. The registration of biometric data is obligatory each time when requesting a new passport. The biometric data of a previous passport cannot be transferred to a new passport.
Passports are issued for seven years (adults) or five years (children). Extension of the validity of a passport is not possible. Passports can only be issued to Belgians who are registered at the embassy. You can check your status by contacting the embassy and if needed take the necessary steps to getting yourself registered.
The delivery time of a passport is 1-2 weeks.
Documents to bring along to the embassy
- Passport application form (available in Dutch, French and German): This form is also available at the Embassy. Please note: When the application concerns a minor, the form must be signed by both parents. If both parents cannot come to the embassy, the other parent must sign the application form in advance and provide a copy of his/her proof of identity. On the second page of the form, please tick the first box under point 3: "Au poste consulaire où je suis inscrit(e) ou dans lequel l’enfant est inscrit." / "In de consulaire post waar ik ingeschreven ben of het kind ingeschreven is." On the second page you are also asked to indicate whether you wish to pick up your passport at the embassy or to have it sent by post. Please note that a photo of each applicant older than 6 years shall be taken at the embassy. Thus, there is no need to bring passport photos with you.
- Proof of identity: To prove your identity you are asked to present a valid Belgian identity document.
- Previous passport: You are asked to present your previous passport at the counter upon submitting your passport application. If it is still valid, you may keep it during the processing of the application (about 1-2 weeks). It must however be returned before your new passport can be delivered. If the old passport has valid visas, the passport will be annulled with the exception of the pages in question and returned to you.
- Payment: Passport adults: 75 € / minors up to 18 years: 35 €
+ eventual sending costs by registered mail: 14 € to Finland and 18 € to Estonia.
The passport should be paid for with a bank or credit card when submitting the application. Should you prefer to opt for a bank transfer, you are requested to present a proof of payment.
Embassy of Belgium
IBAN: FI6817223000000249 (Nordea)
- If your old passport has been stolen: a report of theft made at the local police office.
- When travelling inside the European Union or the Schengen zone, an identity card will be sufficient for proving one’s identity.
- You can submit a passport application at the municipal administration of your previous place of residence in Belgium. Please contact the municipal administration directly to obtain further information. Please note: This option is only available if you are registered in the consular registers of a Belgian embassy or consulate.
- You can also submit your passport application at any other Belgian consular post (in the destination of your business trip or holiday…).
- Pre-registration: have your biometric data registered at the embassy and apply for a passport remotely (by post) within the next 12 months.
Adding your spouse’s name in your passport
The name of your spouse can be added in your passport only on explicit request from your part and in the language of the passport in question. It is strictly forbidden for the applicant to add information themselves.
Passport application for a child under 6 years
Children under 6 years do not have to give biometric data for a passport. Thus, their applications can be sent to the following address: Embassy of Belgium, Kalliolinnantie 5, 00140 Helsinki, Finland.
Please note! The child must be registered in the consular register of the embassy before a passport can be issued. Our website has general information on registration. If it concerns the first-time registration of a (newborn) child, you are requested to contact the embassy to acquire detailed instructions.
The application file must contain the following documents:
- The passport application form for a child under 6 years (available in Dutch, French and German), duly filled in and signed by both parents.
- Two recent passport photos in colour of the child. Please indicate the name of the child on other side of the photo. Please note: Make sure that the face of your child is not too large on the photo.
- A copy of the identity card or the passport of each of the parents
- A copy of the identity card and/or passport of the child (pages 2 and 3).
- Proof of payment of 35 € (+ sending costs of a registered letter: 14 € to Finland or 18 € to Estonia) on our bank account:
Embassy of Belgium
IBAN: FI6817223000000249 (Nordea)
Have you lost your passport, or has it been stolen?
- Contact the local police office to make a declaration of theft of your travel document or proof of identity.
- Are you a Belgian tourist and have you lost your travel document? Contact first your airline to check if you are allowed to travel with just the report of theft or loss filed at the local police office.
- In case of emergency: please contact us for the issuance of a provisional passport.
- In any case: call Doc-Stop to invalidate your passport to ensure that it cannot be used fraudulently: +32 2 518 2123