Identity card for children under 12 years
The parents of a Belgian child under 12 years, who is registered in the registers of our embassy, can apply for an electronic identity card (Kids-ID) for their child. If the child is not yet registered, please contact the embassy to obtain the necessary information related to registration.
The Kids-ID is an electronic identity document for children under 12 years. It is also a travel document valid throughout Europe. The Kids-ID is valid for 3 years.
To obtain a Kids-ID for your child, he/she must have Belgian nationality, be registered in our consular register and be under 12 years of age. In addition, both parents must authorize the issuance of an identity and travel document for a minor (!).
To apply for a Kids-ID, a visit in person with the child is not required. You can therefore send the application by post to the following address: Embassy of Belgium, Kalliolinnantie 5, 00140 Helsinki, Finland.
Please note: If you want to activate the Kids-ID when it is issued, you should make an appointment to pick up the card in person. More information on activation can be found below.
The application will be processed once the embassy has received all of the required documents and the payment. You will be informed by email when your card has arrived at the embassy. The delivery time of Kids-IDs is 4 - 6 weeks, without taking into account sending by registered mail.
Identity card lost or stolen?
- Contact the local police to make a declaration of theft of the travel document or proof of identity.
- Are you a Belgian tourist and have you lost your travel document? Contact first your airline to check if you are allowed to travel with just the report of theft or loss filed at the local police office.
- In case of emergency: please contact us for the issuance of a provisional passport
- In any case: call Doc-Stop to invalidate the identity card to ensure that it cannot be used fraudulently: +32 2 518 2123
The following documents must be presented when applying for a new Kids-ID
- The application form (available in Dutch, French and German): To be filled in with the child’s data and signed by both parents (!). The form can also be obtained at the embassy.
- Two recent photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm): Passport photos in colour that respect the criteria described on the application from and on the FPS Foreign Affairs website (available in French, Dutch and German).
- A copy of the child's current valid identity document(s)
- Previous Kids-ID: If the card is still valid, you can keep it during the processing of the Kids-ID application. In this case, please attach a photocopy to your application. The old card needs to be returned to the embassy before the new Kids-ID can be delivered.
- A copy of the identity card or national passport of each parent
- Payment: Kids-ID: 10 €
The identity card should be paid for with a bank or credit card when submitting the application. Should you prefer to opt for a bank transfer, you are requested to present a proof of payment.
Embassy of Belgium
IBAN: FI6817223000000249 (Nordea)
If you wish to receive the new card by post, you should also pay 11 € * for sending by registered mail, thus in total 21 €.
* or 15,60 € to Estonia (in total 25,60 €)
- If the old identity card has been stolen: a report of theft filed at the local police office.
Activation of Kids-IDs
Parents can activate the chip of the Kids-ID at our embassy or at any municipality in Belgium without the child needing to be present. The activation makes the card's electronic chip legible and the card's data will be entered into the national register. Parents can also activate the card's identification certificate when the child is 6 years or older. This allows the child to be identified securely when using online services. The electronic signature certificate, however, is not available for the Kids-ID.
For any activation of the card it is necessary to have the PUK code that was delivered with the card at hand. The activation can take place when the card is issued or later at your convenience. Please note that to activate the card it is necessary make an appointment (!).
The “Allo Parents“/”Hallo Ouders” function
On each Kids-ID figures a telephone number (+32 78 150 350) that can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If the child has got lost and has their Kids ID with them, anyone who finds the child can easily contact the parents or designated persons using a cascade call system activated by the parents. To activate this cascade system or for further information visit: www.alloparents.be.