Adults and children over 12 years of age
The electronic identity card (eID) is compulsory for all Belgians from 12 years onwards. It is valid for 10 years for applicants between 18 and 74 years of age / 6 years for applicants between 12 and 17 years of age / 30 years for applicants older than 75 years.
Identity cards can only be issued to Belgians who are registered at the embassy. You can check your status by contacting the embassy and if needed take the necessary steps to getting yourself registered.
To apply for an ID card, a visit in person is not required. You can therefore send the application by post to the following address: Embassy of Belgium, Kalliolinnantie 5, 00140 Helsinki, Finland.
Please note: If you want to activate the electronic certificates of your identity card when it is issued, you should make an appointment to pick up the card in person. More information on activation can be found below.
The application will be processed once the embassy has received all of the required documents and the payment. You will be informed by email when your card has arrived at the embassy. The delivery time of an eID is 4 - 6 weeks, without taking into account sending by registered mail.
Have you lost your identity card, or has it been stolen?
- Contact the local police office to make a declaration of theft of your travel document or proof of identity.
- Are you a Belgian tourist and have you lost your travel document? Contact first your airline to check if you are allowed to travel with just the report of theft or loss filed at the local police office.
- In case of emergency: please contact us for the issuance of a provisional passport.
- In any case: call Doc-Stop to invalidate your identity card to ensure that it cannot be used fraudulently: +32 2 518 2123
Documents to be presented when applying for a new identity card
- The application form (available in Dutch, French and German): The form can also be obtained at the embassy.
- Two recent photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm): Passport photos in colour that respect the criteria described on the application from and on the FPS Foreign Affairs website (available in French and in Dutch).
- Proof of identity: a copy of your passport or identity card. The old identity card may be kept during the processing of your application. It must be returned to the embassy to be destroyed, before the new card may be delivered.
- Payment: Identity card: 20 €
The identity card should be paid for with a bank or credit card when submitting the application. Should you prefer to opt for a bank transfer, you are requested to present a proof of payment.
Embassy of Belgium
IBAN: FI6817223000000249 (Nordea)
If you wish to receive the new identity card by post, please also pay 11 € * extra for sending by registered mail, together with the payment for the identity card, in total 31 €.
*or 15,60 € to Estonia (in total 35,60 €)
- If your old identity card has been stolen: a report of theft filed at the local police office.
Activation of eID cards
Any Belgian citizen registered in our consular register can activate their eID at our embassy in Helsinki, at any other Belgian embassy or consulate in another country or at a Belgian municipality.
Cards and certificates can only be activated in the presence of the citizen. (This applies also to minors between 12 and 18 years of age.) If you wish to activate your card at our embassy, please make an appointment (!). To activate the card, the citizen must have at hand their identity card and their PUK code that is issued with the card. The activation of the card and the certificates allows citizens to identify themselves and to log in to official Belgian websites.
Learn more about identity cards: